DEPARTMENT OF LIBRARY SCINCES
The Veterinary College and Research Institute Library plays a vital role in the collection, development and dissemination of Veterinary Science information to meet the present and future needs of the Institute. The library has a rich collection of books and journals in the field of Veterinary Science.
The Library was established in the year 2012. It started with a small collection of books mainly transferred from Madras Veterinary College, Chennai and Veterinary College and Research Institute, Namakkal, besides accumulating the vast collection of literature on Veterinary Science by its own purchase..
The main objective of the Library is to support the educational and research programs of the Veterinary College and Research Institute by providing access to information consistent with the present and anticipated educational and research functions of this institute.
The Library is functioning in a separate two-storeyed building from 24.01.1995. The total area of Library is 10,830 sq.ft. There are two stack rooms and two reading halls of 3,146 sq.ft respectively.
The Library is open on weekdays from 09.00 a.m to 08.00 p.m. (Monday to Friday) and from 10.00 a.m. to 5.45 p.m. on Saturdays.
A Professor is nominated as Officer-in-charge Library supported by one Assistant Librarian, one Library Assistant, two administrative staffs and other supporting staff members.
The Library Committee consists of the Dean, Professor and Head of Various faculties of the College and Assistant Librarian. The Dean is the Chairman of the Library Committee and Officer-in-charge of the Library is Convenor of the Library Committee. The functions of the Library Committee are:
- Collection development of books, journals and other items,
- Implementing the modernization of the library to serve the needs of the users.
- The Library Committee meeting is being organized every three months to develop and improve the entire Library activities.
- No person shall be admitted to the Library unless he/she is properly dressed.
- Readers desiring to use the Library shall enter their names and addresses legibly in a register which is kept for the purpose. Such signature shall be taken as an acknowledgement that the person agrees to confirm to the rules of the Library.
- Readers shall not write upon, damage or make any marks upon, any book, manuscript or map belonging to the Library.
- No tracing or mechanical reproduction shall be made without the express permission from the Assistant Librarian / Officer-in-charge Library.
- Silence shall be strictly observed in the Library.
- Readers shall be responsible for any damage or injury done to the books or other property, belonging to the Library and shall be required to replace such books (s) or property, damaged or injured or pay the value thereof. If one book of a set (Multiple Volume) or one issue of an Unbound volume is injured, the whole set shall be replaced.
- Cases of inactivity or other failure in the service should be reported immediately to the Assistant Librarian / officer-in-charge Library or in his/her absence, to the senior member of the Staff present.
- While entering the Library all members are requested to deposit their belongings (over coats, rain coats, umbrellas, brief case, bags, Vanity bags, manila folders, note books and books, etc., not belonging to the Library ) with the counter staff. They may be collected while the member leaves the Library. On no account the library staff could be held responsible for any damage or loss to the property of the member while in temporary custody of the counter staff. The member should switch off their mobile phone and other electronic devices while entering into the Library.
Note: The member will be allowed to take with him/her only loose sheets of papers inside the Library for writing purpose.
- Before taking books (s) on loan, a member shall satisfy himself/herself as to whether the books(s) lent to him/her is in sound condition. If not it shall be brought to the notice of the Assistant Librarian/Officer-in-charge Library. Senior Library staffs on duty about such defects as are observed in the book(s). Otherwise, he/she is liable to be held responsible for all the defects, if noted when returning the book(s) back to the Library and may have to replace in books(s) by a sound copy /copies.
- The Assistant Librarian / Officer-in-charge library can categories temporarily any publication as reference book if that helps better service during the period and can permit any Special or overnight loan under special circumstances.
- Replacement of books by the members in the racks is strictly prohibited and members should leave the books consulted by them on the Readers table/desk.
- Books of the types listed below are not available on loan except under special circumstance for which the permission of the concerned Assistant Librarian or Officer-in-charge Library.
- Encyclopedias’ , Dictionaries and Directories
- Government rules, regulations, act and manual
- Atlases and maps
- Old and worn out books and books which are out of print and cannot be replaced.
- Heavy and oversize volumes
- Costly publication with full of plates
- Annual Reviews
- Loose issues of periodicals or unbound volumes
- Spitting and smoking within the premises of the Library are strictly prohibited
- Dogs and other animals shall not be allowed into the Library
- New book(s) (latest additions / editions) received will be kept in the Library for one month after receipt and before that time they will not be issued on loan.
- The use of fountain pens in the Library is permitted but no ink should be spilled on the floor or furniture of the Library.
- Members who disregard the Library rules are liable for the appropriate disciplinary action by this College.
Rules and Regulations for using Library
- Chairs and tables should not be disturbed from their position.
- Users should avoid resting their feet on tables, chairs, shelves, window sills.
- Books and bound volumes should be handled with great care. Please avoid keeping the volumes open on the table or putting with their faces down or inserting note books or pencils in between the pages and closing them.
- Pages must not be folded to serve as book marks.
- Books loaned should be protected from RAIN, DUST, INSECTS, etc.
- Loss of Borrower’s cards to be reported immediately in writing.
- Change in Department, Status, Address etc. to be informed.
- Documents should be handled with great care as they are costly and valuable, particularly loose issue of periodicals.
- Should not mutilate documents.
- Personal papers and non-library materials should not be left unattended on tables.
- On violation of Library Rules or misconduct of any reader the Library authorities can withdraw the Library facilities to that particular individual.
- When the members have any complaint about the services provided by the Library they should not enter in to argument with the Library staff. Instead, they are advised to bring it to the notice of the Officer-in-Charge, Library / Assistant Librarian.
- Members should follow all rules decided by the Library authority from time to time. And copy of the same will be made available to the members.
- Your valuable suggestions are always welcome.
- Your co-operation in providing smooth and efficient Library service will be highly appreciated.
In accordance with the objectives, the Library aims to develop a comprehensive collection of documents useful for students, faculty and research community of the college. Following is the detailed statistics of the collection as on date:
Following is the detailed statistics of the collection as on date:
- Books: 450
- Video Cassettes: 48
Four photocopiers are available to the Library users at nominal charges. Two scanners are also available for the use of students and staff.
Broadband facility with 5 nodes is provided to the staff and students of this College at free of cost.
The services provided by the Library include:
- Books Lending
- Video Library
- CD Writing (Articles and information download)
- New arrivals display
- User guidance service
Dr.P.Selvaraj, OIC | | Mobile: +91-94421 90993.
Officer (i/C) and Professor Head,
Department of Library Science,
Veterinary College and Research Institute,
Phone No: 04372-234011,